Today I have been obsessing about rowboats. I am not much of an ocean person, or I suppose even a water person in general, so it may fairly be considered an odd thing to be pondering. Without climbing partners, though, my mind is prone to wandering.
Probably about a year ago my friend Ian was telling me that he was considering building a wood strip water craft. I assumed that he meant a canoe, but in fact he said he would rather build a row boat. To back up a bit, I met Ian at work, where his renovation grew into a big beautiful custom build. He and Catherine, his partner, are clients like I never expect to have again. On the build Ian was around most of the time, and I enjoyed working with him a great deal. Anyhow, after our conversation once in a while the idea of building a row boat has crept into my head.
For all of this I think that it will not be something that I leap right after when I get home. Unfortunately work will have to take the lead, and the materials for the boat won't come cheap. Also, there is the logistics of where the boat will be built, and the fact that I haven't even floated the idea with Ian, chosen a boat, etc. I will actually probably end up building some furniture first just because of the financial factor and that there is free material sitting in Okko's garage. All that said I hope to get it going in a few months. I think it will be fun. After all, I met all three people through building in one way or another, so why not keep building together?



