Saturday, April 9, 2011

Ambitious and Easygoing?

I have noticed that I have two rather contradictory aspects to my personality.  On the one hand, I tend to think that the best way to deal with most situations is to be relaxed and easygoing.  On the other, I am really ambitious and have many significant goals which will be difficult to attain.  What I have realized is that I need to be cognizant of the choice of approach I take to any situation.  Of course it is always more easy to be compliant, but will you be satisfied with the result of that choice?

When I began working in the trades the it rapidly became clear to me that you had to develop a thick skin.  People don't mince words, and you need to be prepared to hear people express themselves.  I also learned that it was easy to deal with most situations with a relaxed attitude, and that those who make an issue of everything are in a constant state of war.  When I had to manage a site, however, I learned that being relaxed about everything is not always good.  While it was distasteful to have to make demands of people, I learned to because I felt a responsibility to the home owners to see that they were treated fairly.  Always a balancing act.  In the end I have become comfortable with it because if you are open about what you need, you can generally come to a consensus and move ahead.

As far as climbing goes, I think I have yet to learn that lesson.  The world of climbing is at least as full of personality as the construction industry, and everyone has their aims.  Having been traveling and climbing with many different people over the last several months, it has become clear that if you do not set out your objectives and begin pursuing them, then you will be working in support of someone else's.  This may sound somewhat negative, but I actually don't fault any of my climbing partners for seeking to pursue their goals.  I just need to do the same.  The best experiences to be had in the mountains or at the crags are when that consensus has been achieved and goals begin to be realized.  The trick, I think, is to be direct with your ambitions, and then listen to those of your partners'.  There is probably more than enough room to satisfy both parties.  After all, everyone is playing the same game.